Monday, April 7, 2008

Cherry Blossom Festival

Last Wednesday Nick and I were able to head down to DC to check out the Cherry Blossom Festival. I have no idea why I have never been before, being as I grew up here! It was so beautiful. Nick and both loved it so much. I had such a feeling of gratitude for all the natural beauties of the earth. We rented a paddle boat and got to go out onto the Potomac River and get some really beautiful views of the blossoms that we couldn't get from land. It was just a wonderful day. Walking around DC also made me feel so very grateful for this country and the principles upon which it was built. Our forefathers were spiritual men who had a very serious burden placed upon them and they did not take it lightly. I love this quote inside the Thomas Jefferson Memorial:
"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever. "
As I stood in the memorial, I marveled at how wise his words were. Little did he know that centuries later, our country would denounce that same God in schools, in homes, etc....
It was just a really great experience for me and cemented my faith in my Heavenly Father. Here are a couple of pics we took:

8 comments:

losing my needles said...

I've only been to see the cherry blossoms once and it was while I was pregnant with Nate. I guess when you live around here you avoid the tourist places when they are the most crowded. That is of course when there is usually the most to see. Oh well.

Amy said...

Oh my gosh Amanda..that is soo gorgeous! Why the heck didnt I ever go see the blossoms? Thanks for sharing!! Love seeing pictures of maryland!

Becky said...

I guess that's kind of like me being from Utah and not being skier.
Glad you guys were able to go. We went and thought it was beautiful...but the paddle boat would have been awesome!

Scrap Happy said...

Fab. I miss it! I can't believe you haven't done that before! Slacker...

James and Amy said...

I'm jealous you guys rode around in the little boats. We were going to but let's just say there were a million people when we went!

Nate and Lori said...

Beautiful pictures! Its amazing to me that we were there just 2 weeks ago and there very few blossoms. We will have to do the paddle boats next time.

Nicole said...

Beautiful. We went last year and have four more days to make it this year. It was my first time going and I thought the same, "Why have I never been to this festival before?" Hmmm, mystery. There is so much to love about Maryland (and the DC area). Now that it is Spring I want to burst open the windows and tear down the door.

Fisher Family said...

Beautiful...I miss MD/DC. We went to Washington states capitol on Sat. and there were some cherry blossoms. Reminded me a little bit of back home. I'm so patriotic, your post hit home for me.